MMX writers

Orientation Blues



As I stand here and begin to speak
I can feel my knees growing weak.
It isnt stage fright, it isnt arthritis,
It’s this wretched little verse, I hope you like this.

Engineers and acountants, doctors and lawyers,
Running around for treasure, like little Tom Sawyers.
Was that a cute sight? I really wouldn’t know.
I was busy getting sunburnt, like a little Jamaican ‘bro.

I’m already four shades darker, just like the rest of you.
My mother would’ve cried, if only mama knew.
They call this Orientation Week? Felt more like boot camp,
My body’s been steamrolled, and armpit’s still damp.

Queues to the left of me, queues to the right.
I didn’t get Goel’s chicken yesterday, today I’ll fight.
A queue for coffee, a coffee in the loo,
And while my bladder’s on overdrive, I’, saying: “Nice to meet you.”

Sombre, serious, funny guys, now they’re all friends of mine,
As for the ladies, I have to admit, they’re really, really fine.
It’s been a tough week, will I find what I seek, when it’s time to pull up my socks?
Recession, regression, standard deviation notwithstanding, ISB well and truly rocks.