MMX writers

Pre-Term Assessment Tests and Other Horror Stories

On March 25th, 500-odd people all over the world heaved a collective sigh of relief, at the fact that the deadlines for taking tests in Quant, Business Stats and Financial Accounting to determine eligibility for pre-term courses came to an end.

There was no more room for procrastinating, and those that had to, took the tests and got them done with once and for all.

I was one such unlucky soul.

For most of us, the last exam we'd have taken (not counting our numerous attempts at CAT, XAT, GMAT and so on) would have been the last paper in undergrad school.

The horrifying prospect of taking a test thereafter to examine one's abilities left me sweating profusely with nervousness.

At 9 PM on 25th March, I sat in front of my PC with a pen and notebook in hand, and began solving the assessment tests in earnest. Here is how I fared:

Quantitative Methods: Being an engineer didn't help too much, but having listened to what was told in class 11 and 12 most certainly did. Fourty objective type questions later, this is what appeared on my screen.

"Your performance at quant was simply mindblowing, and you needn't spend INR 5000 on taking the pre-terms. Spend it wisely on buying another suit and improving your appearance, you most certainly need it. You are awesome."

"I am modest too, you idiot", I grimaced, as I then plodded onward to the next test.

Business Statistics: Class 11 and 12 did help to a certain extent, as did class 10, but there were fundas here that made me get the 'cow look' on a regular basis. The last time I threw a profusion of cow looks was when I was introduced to couter-intuitive corporate jargon.

"You're decent at Stats", read the report, "but we'd rather you not while away your time drinking away to glory in your second week on campus, and attend classes for this subject instead. Kapish?"

Financial Accounting:
I don't even remember the questions for this one, for all I did was to select true in each question and then click submit.

"You are a retard. No question about that. Even a donkey knows more Fin. Acc. than you do, and I'm surprised you made it to ISB. It was a lucky fluke, nothing else. Be grateful you have paid the deposit money and we can't kick you out, but we'll be watching you."

And so it goes. Such is life. There are no more horror stories, unless you count my watching 13B a couple of days ago. Please don't watch it even if someone pays you money to do so.

Alea Jacta Est, et al.